I’m laying in bed next to William, who is beyond overtired, so seems like as good a time as any to do a review of this year.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
I took on a managerial role at work and I think I’m doing a fairly decent job at it.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolution for this year was to be more organized, which I was in a few small ways, but mostly that was a big fail. My resolution for 2017 is just to survive it without losing my mind. I am feeling mostly optimistic about meeting this one.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My sweet nephew Asher was born. My step-sister also gave birth to an adorable baby boy this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
A good friend’s husband died after a long battle with brain cancer.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the US, but within the country I went to Louisiana, Nevada and Idaho (twice!) this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Will power. Sleep.
7. What moments from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There were hundreds of small moments this year. Watching Elijah at Mardi Gras and both boys at the beach. Seeing them hold hands or play together. There weren’t many big huge moments, but there were so many good, small ones.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Coming off my PTSD meds and doing well after. My mental health has been generally good this year. I suppose this isn’t an accomplishment as I didn’t really do anything, but it’s something that happened that I’m pleased about.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Never having enough patience for my kids.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope. My husband almost died (at my hand) from a man cold, Will had HFM and had tubes put in his ears, but this was generally a decent year health wise.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Tickets to NOLA. That trip was magic.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Probably Elijah’s more than anyone else. He continues to be an incredibly compassionate kid.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Donald Trump’s. People who voted for Donald Trump. The alt-right. Nor-Nazis. Racists. Terrorists.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Student loans. Credit card bills. Our debt would blow your mind.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our trips. We got to do some very fun things with our kids all over the country. New Orleans, Vegas, Boise, Ventura.
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
Alllllll the Hamilton.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Pretty close to the same. Maybe like a half pound thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Ehhhh, sameish. We are budgeting better but our student loans more than doubled in 2016, so it didn’t make a great difference.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Active playing with my kids. It’s not where I excel as a parent.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend the holidays?
We did Chanukah at home except for two nights at my parents’ houses and tonight at my in laws. Christmas was at my parents’
21. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Nope, but there was no lack of love.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Great British Baking Show and even though I kind of hate it, This Is Us.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? A few former coworkers are definitely not on my list of favorite people anymore.
24. What was the best book you read?
The new kind of Harry Potter book/play.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
To sleep through the night occasionally.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33 at a continuing education course in New Mexico.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Lost more weight.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Mostly clothes that don’t fit well. This is copied from last year and still very true.
32. What kept you sane?
Family, friends and the internet. Same as last year.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Meh, none. Same as last year.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The entire goddamn election and the fact that 60 million people think that a sexual predator should run the country. I cannot.
35. Who did you miss?
Is it wrong to say no one?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Probably Asher, as trite as that sounds. He’s delightful.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
You cannot fully understand how hard something is for a person until you experience it. And that we could all stand to be way more compassionate.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“You want a revolution? I want a revelation. So listen to my declaration: “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.” And when I meet Thomas Jefferson, I’m ‘a compel him to include women in the sequel!”